The wind symphony welcomes expressions of interested from advanced instrumentalist to play in the group.
We are currently needing extra clarinets, bassoon, percussion, and tuba players.
New players are welcome to put in an expression of interest to the committee at any time.
Applicants are expected to be able to play accurately, expressively their main instrument. Playing other instruments is an advantage. The ability to sight-read music should be at a high standard for the typical advanced concert band repertoire. Experience in working in a team and following a conductor is also important.
The Concerts tab and Posts on this website will illustrate the repertoire and frequency of concerts and workshops. The concert repertoire is mainly contemporary art works composed in the 20th and 21st century and works from show and film. Of course we regularly perform compositions of Percy Grainger, perhaps the most famous of composers born in Australia. The diversity of works in the one concert is what we enjoy.
- All players are required to have a current Working With Children Check or equivalent. For further instructions on WWCC click here. If you already have one, initially, photograph both sides and email to the Personnel Manager email@example.com.
- All players are to read all the GWS Policies and accept them before commencing click here.
SUBMIT AN EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
- Fill in Expression of Interest Google Form
- Alternatively, email an expression of interest to play in the Grainger Wind Symphony to the Secretary firstname.lastname@example.org
The EOI should contain
- your name, (optional: your preferred pronouns)
- email address, mobile number, postcode where you live/work
- instruments played
- the approximate standard of each instrument played
- contact details – email address, mobile phone number, and suburb where you live
- experience in playing in ensembles: bands and orchestras – standard: school, community, professional
- any other information about what you would like contribute to the group
- that you have read all the GWS policies
- attach a photograph of both sides of your current WWCC card (or equivalent).
The EOI should be received by the Secretary or Administrator who will contact you to invite you to “try us out” if there is a vacancy. The first rehearsal and concert will be free of subscription fee. Beyond that the full subscription fee is expected to be paid by cash at rehearsal or via direct debit.
THE CURRENT GWS SUBSCRIPTION FEE
The GWS Subscription Fee is revised at the AGM for the following calendar year. The fees are for players and non-player members. The fees for 2023 are as follows.
- Annual subscription Full member $280
- Annual subscription Full member Concession $200 – for full time students, Health Card holder or Senior Card holder
- Concert-by-Concert (CbC) fee Full member $70 – after four CbC fees are paid in the calendar year, the player as paid the equivalent of the annual fee and pays no more for the remainder of the year
- Concert-by-Concert fee Full member Concession $50 – after four CbC fees are paid in the calendar year, the player as paid the equivalent of the concession annual fee and pays no more for the remainder of the year, for full time students, Health Card holder or Senior Card holder
- Life Members are exempt of subscription fee. All committee and management pay only concession subscription fee. Young Scholarship Recipients and invited players are exempt of subscription fees.
For more information about how we organise details go to the Players Only Page click here.
Updated by Roland Yeung 16 August 2023