Conducting Seminar, Workshop & Intensive Programs 2018
in partnership presents
- Public Seminar
- Conducting Workshop
- Conducting Intensive
- Fees and Booking
In 2018, The Grainger Wind Symphony in it’s 32nd year is offering two types of public Conducting Professional Development for the learning of music teacher conductors and community band conductors. They are presented in partnership with the Australian Band and Orchestra Directors Association Victoria Branch. Click here to go to their FaceBook page.
All classes and workshops are in the Eastern metropolitan area in Melbourne: Blackburn and Mont Albert North, Victoria outside of normal working hours.
“Laying The Foundation For A Strong Ensemble Culture” presented by Dr Michael Lichnovsky click here for Michael’s biography.
Ensembles are communities. Building strong ensemble programs is about creating a culture that is not only musically and technically challenging, but inclusive, compassionate and confidence building. Developing an ensemble curriculum that starts with fundamental ensemble skills and behaviours, and builds literacy and skill in an achievable yet challenging way is vital, but cannot succeed without teachers living and demonstrating the culture they want to create within the ensemble program.
Wednesday 18th July 2018 5.20pm for 5.30pm to 6.30pm
For more details about the Seminar Click here
Bookings for applicants who just wish to attend the seminar close on the 16th July 2018 for catering reasons.
Conducting Workshop Program
This package is packaged as a professional development opportunity concentrated into one inspiring evening. It includes a seminar (above) on a topic of interest to all conductors, a one-on-one private conducting tutorial with their mentor and podium time conducting The Grainger Wind Symphony in a videoed conducting workshops.
It is presented in one evening 5.20pm – 10.10pm on Wednesday 18th July 2018. Applicants may choose to be a Full Participant or an Observer.
FULL PARTICIPANTS of the GWS ABODA Conducting Workshop will:
- select a concert band work to work on at the private tutorial and in the video workshop,
- provide a full set of parts and extra score of your selected work by Sunday 14th July,
- attend the public seminar (described above) from 5.20pm,
- be able to have light refreshments,
- have a one-on-one private conducting tutorial including a review with a conductor mentor from 6.45pm,
- have 12 minutes podium time in the public videoed workshop conducting The Grainger Wind Symphony supported by their mentor, and
- leave with a video recording of their conducting at the end of the session.
For the list of Mentors for GWS ABODA Conducting One-On-One Tutorial and Video Workshop Click here
Full participants are limited to 7. To book a place use TryBooking click here and complete Application Form: A click here to download, and scan/email or post. Bookings close on the 29th June or when full.
OBSERVERS of the GWS ABODA Conducting Workshop will:
- attend the public seminar,
- be able to have light refreshments, and
- observe the live workshop with The Grainger Wind Symphony, and a team of mentors supporting each Full Participant.
Observer numbers are not limited. To book a place using TryBooking click here and complete Application Form: A click here to download, and scan/email or post. Bookings close on the 16th July for catering reasons.
Conducting Intensive Program
This is a package of group conducting classes, preparatory classes, participating in a videoed workshop. Full Participants have podium time conducting The Grainger Wind Symphony.
Dates and times:
- one introductory class Saturday 30th June 2.00pm – 5.00pm for those who have not participated before,
- a choice of at least TWO preparatory conducting classes from the following dates:
- Tuesday 3rd July 2pm-4pm,
- Thursday 12th July 2pm-4pm,
- Saturday 14th July 2pm-5pm,
- Monday 16th July 7pm-9pm
- Thursday 19th July 7pm-9pm
- Saturday 21st July 2pm-5pm
- free entry to the Public Seminar on Wednesday 18th July at 5.20pm for 5.30pm to 6.30pm
- a compulsory videoed workshop conducting The Grainger Wind Symphony 21st June 7.30pm to 10.15pm with at least 12 minutes podium time for Full Participants
- a review session with clinician on Saturday 28th July from 2pm.
Some dates and times are negotiable.
- Clinician: Roland Yeung, Music Director and Principal Conductor of The Grainger Wind Symphony. Click here for Roland’s biography.
Costs: Members of the Australian Band and Orchestra Directors Association (ABODA) have a discount, and the fee for non-ABODA members includes membership of ABODA. The details of fees are on the Tax Invoice below and on TryBooking.
Observers and Full Participants of the GWS ABODA Conducting Intensive will:
- Attend all conducting classes on repertoire selected by each participant, then
- Have free entry to the Public Seminar on Wednesday 28th June from 5.00pm.
Observers are limited to 2.
Full Participants GWS ABODA Conducting Intensive will:
- Fully participate in all conducting classes on repertoire selected
- Have podium time in the videoed workshop conducting The Grainger Wind Symphony supported by their clinician
- Leave with a recording of their conducting at the end of the session,
- Have free entry to the Public Seminar on Wednesday 28th June from 5.00pm, and
- Attend a group video review to conclude this intensive program.
Full participants are limited to 7.
Location: Blackburn and Mont Albert North
Once bookings made, Roland will contact you.
Enquiries: Roland Yeung, Music Director GWS, firstname.lastname@example.org or 0432 445577.